Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

They increase the social security amount why are they

Customer Question
They increase the social...

They increase the social security amount why are they increasing me $. So the $134 for the medical part, so the increase was only a dollar

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The total amount is 1,299- 134= 1.165. What is the maximum amount eligible for not paying the $134.00

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No I think thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/19/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

We are talking about 2018 Medicare Part B Income-Related Monthly Adjustments Amounts (IRMAA)

The issue here is related to so-called "hold harmless" legal provision which protects the majority of retirees from increased Medicare Part B premiums if it would reduce their Social Security benefits.

That means - IF your social security benefits are NOT increased - Medicare premiums should NOT be increased either.

.

For instance - because there was no COLA adjustment for Social Security in 2016, Part B monthly premiums didn't go up that year and remained flat at $104.90 for most retirees.

in 2017 - the SSA gave recipients a tiny 0.3 percent COLA increase - and 2017 Part B month premiums rose to $109, for seniors covered by the hold harmless provision. But for others including those just started social security benefits - the full freight was $134.

For 2018 - the COLA is 2% increase - and those who paid $109 this year will pay $134 .

A small group receiving low social security benefits will still pay lower amount due to the hold harmless law.

But 70% of retirees will pay $134 a month for Medicare Part B premiums.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor