Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Although I have been working part time for over 1 1/2 years,

Customer Question
Although I have been...

Although I have been working part time for over 1 1/2 years, and SS has been deducted from my earnings, my SS monthly payment has stayed the same for 2 years now! Why??

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been retired from full time work for over 14 years, and started collecting SS then. Now I have worked part time for a year and a half and SS is deducted from my checks, yet my SS amount has stayed exactly the same for 2 years. Why am I not getting an increase since I have been putting money into SS again for 1 1/2 years.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/19/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.

They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount(PIA).

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.

So if these additional years of earring are included into these 35 years you earned the most - your benefits are recalculated.

That recalculation takes place every January - your employer reports wages to the SSA - and you do not need to proof that - but it might be beneficial to verify if that reporting is reflected on your working record.

Questions?

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor