Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 72 my husband is 73 he now tells me he want a divorce…

Customer Question
I am 72 my...

I am 72 my husband is 73 he now tells me he want a divorce he gets 1179,after medicare I get 800 and 680 after medicare. My rent is 500 a month, is there anyway I can get an upgrade from him

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Yes that leaves me wig 164 dollars to live on

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 6 days by:
12/25/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 6 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

If you get a divorce, or separate, you can file a petition with that family court asking it to award you alimony/spousal support. However, if your husband only has 1179 per month total, the court may find he does not have enough income to share any after meeting his own basic survival needs. Or, it may decided that he should give you exactly the amount that makes you equal. That is not an SS issue, however, but one for your family court.

As for SS, no, there is no such things as an "upgrade". The spousal benefit from him would be less than what you are getting on your own work record. That said, it MAY be that you are eligible for extra help with your Medicare premium. Consider going to your local medical assistance/Medicaid office and asking if you can get Medicaid to pay for your Medicare premium (it may also cover deductibles and copays). That will put an extra 134 in your pocket each month. You can also inquire about SNAP - so you can get food benefits (a card). That way less of your remaining income need be spent on food. You can apply for this at the same place you apply for the Medicaid.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give mecredit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you inthe future, should you have legalquestions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!