Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have a question about a spouse passing away before

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question about a spouse passing away before retirement and the surviving spouse is still under retirement age. Is there any benefits the surviving spouse can receive. Thank You

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What would you like to know

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that i know of, other than the surviving spouse is 63 and the deceased was 60

12/18/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

As a general rule, survivors benefits based on age will be about the same total Social Security benefits over a lifetime, whether they start early or at full survivors retirement age. If monthly benefits start before full retirement age, the amount is smaller to take into account the longer period a person receives them.

Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age as a survivor. If the benefits start at an earlier age, they are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before full retirement age.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:
•Widow or widower, full retirement age or older—100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
•Widow or widower, age 60—full retirement age—71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
•Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59—71½ percent;
•Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16—75 percent;

Let me know if that addressed your question and if you need any clarification this matter.

are you saying that the surviving spouse can apply for ss benifits on his spouse even though he is only 63
if so how do you get the process started thank you

Correct - even earlier - as soon as the surviving spouse turns 60 - but benefits will be reduced.

If you were born between 1945 and 1956 - your FRA is 66.

Please be aware that FRA is determined differently for surviving benefits purposes.

.

Widows, widowers, and surviving divorced spouses cannot apply online for survivors benefits.

If they want to apply for disability benefits on your record, they should contact Social Security at 1-800_772_1213 to request an appointment. (If they are deaf or hard of hearing, they should call our TTY number, 1-800_325_0778.)

You will need to provide death certificate and marriage certificate to support your eligibility.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

if so how do you get the process started thank you. 90405 is my zip code. my FRA means what? So my spouses's payment is supposed to be $2,454. What would i be entitled to for her benifits
if so how do you get the process started thank you. 90405 is my zip code. my FRA means what? So my spouses's payment is supposed to be $2,454. What would i be entitled to for her benifits. sorry that was mine hers was $ 1,319

FRA stands for full retirement age (also called "normal retirement age").

Your FRA is 66 year.

Full retirement age is the age at which a person may first become entitled to full or unreduced retirement benefits.

If your spouse benefits woudl be $1,319 - you may receive THAT amount if you start at age 66.

If you start at age 63 - means - you will be getting benefits 36 months longer - you will have .396% reduction for each month you start before your FRA.

So - at age 63 - your benefits would be reduced by $1,319 * .396% * 36 = $188

and actual benefits are estimated as $1,319 - $188 = $1,131

.

Another advantage will be that you may switch to your own benefits at your FRA and they will NOT be reduced OR you may switch at age 70 - and let your own benefits to grow additional 32%

if so how do you get the process started thank you. 90405 is my zip code. my FRA means what? So my spouses's payment is supposed to be $2,454. What would i be entitled to for her benifits. sorry that was mine hers was $ 1,319. ok one more question. so i can file for her benefits rite now and keep getting them until i turn 66, then hers go away and mine start unless i wait till70 like you say thank you

Yes - that is correct.

You may start social security benefits as a surviving spouse NOW - and these benefits will be reduced because you start before your FRA.

But later - you may switch to your own not reduced benefits at your FRA

Or you may delay your own benefits up till age 70 and have these benefits increased up to 32%.

.

Your local office location is

Address:SUITE 300 11500 W OLYMPIC BLVD LOS ANGELES, CA 90064

Phone:1-800_772_1213 TTY:1-800_325_0778

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

Appointment is not required - but might be helpful to reduce waiting time.

Let me know if your question was answered.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor