Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

WAS MARRIED FOR 17 YEARS. I APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY ON

Customer Question

I AM DIVORCED AND WAS MARRIED FOR 17 YEARS. I APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY ON MY HUSBANDS EARNINGS SINCE HE PASSED AWAY. I AM 65 YEARS OLD AND WILL BE 66 IN AUGUST. I WAS TOLD I WILL RECEIVED PAYMENTS STARING JANUARY 1, 2018. WILL I BE PENALIZED FOR NOT WAITING UNTIL I AM 66.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: WHEN I FILE MY TAXES IN APRIL WILL I BE PAYING BACK MONEY BECAUSE I DID NOT WAIT UNTIL 66 BEING I AM COLLECTING ON MY DECEASED HUSBANDS EARNINGS.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age, which is 66. Your benefit amount will be less than the one-half because your benefit payments will start before you are 66.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 12 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.