Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I may have compromised my social security number in a scam.

Customer Question
I may have compromised...

I may have compromised my social security number in a scam. what should I do?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He said he was with the irs and that I owed back taxes and if I didn,t pay them they would take me to jail for 90 days. they wanted gift calds for $5000.00 which I paid.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not other than they know some of my accounts. I all ready changed my credit cards.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/18/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

This is a common scam, but the IRS NEVER calls demanding payment and threatening to put you in jail.

You should take the following steps:

1. Contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies--Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion to place a fraud alert on your credit file. Tell them your social security number has been stolen.

2. Contact the IRS to report identity theft at 1-***-***-****.

3. Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-IDTHEFT.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-to-do-ssn-stolen,news-18742.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.