Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I apply for SS benefits if I was in US illegal from1992…

Customer Question
Can I apply for...

Can I apply for SS benefits if I was in US illegal from1992 to 2015, I worked and paid taxes.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I moved back to EU,2015.paid taxes as self-employed, born at 1949

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No criminal record, or disabilities,divorced,not kids

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/17/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI. My name's Lane ...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this

im waiting for your advise

Bear with me ... I'm look at the law on this

i already paid $5

PLEASE give me time on this ... If the site is trying to make one of those call offers, that did NOT come from me

Further..If you expect ONLY to pay $5 then let's not waste our time here. I am not allowed to deal with pricing issues, as a user (albeit an expert user with credentials verified and tested out in my subject area) ... but the $5 is a deposit and whatever you DO pay JustAnswer. I'll only receive a portion once (if) you rate positively.

...

Pleas give me a little time to do the legal research here... I CAN tell you that likely you will ave to be lawfully present in the US to file ... IF ... we can get your time credited

...

Will you give me a little more time here?

How did you obtain the Social Security number?

you are so nice to me... I m in EU,its so complicate here to get any answers or help

I'm trying ... can you answer the question?

...

(1) How did you obtain the Social Security number?, and

(2) Will it be possible for you to be in the US lawfully in the future?

pure legally, at 1992, as working on the contrakt.no possibility to come back to US.WE MOVED TO EU VOLUNTARY,NO DEPORT.
NO CRIMINAL RECORD

Will need to look at what's called the "totalization agreement" between your country and the US.

...

What country are you in? (EU is not recognized as an entity for this purpose. For example totalization -Social Security treaties - exist between France and US, and UK/US, for example

POLAND

Great ... give me a few more minutes .. be right back

Normally, persons who are not U.S. citizens may receive U.S. Social Security benefits while outside the United States only if they meet certain requirements. However, under the agreement, you may receive benefits as long as you reside in Poland regardless of your nationality.

...

If you live in Poland and wish to apply for U.S. or Polish benefits, contact: If you live in Poland and wish to apply for U.S. or Polish benefits, contact:

• The Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw, Poland, (phone 48-22-504-2112) or the U.S. Consulate in Krakow (phone 48-12-424-5100) to file for U.S. benefits; or
  • Any Polish social security office to file for Polish benefits only.

You can apply with one country and ask to have your application considered as a claim for benefits from the other country. Information from your application will then be sent to the other country. Each country will process the claim under its own laws, counting credits from the other country when appropriate, and notify you of its decision.

If you have not applied for benefits before, you may need to provide certain information and documents when you apply. This includes:

• The worker's U.S. Social Security number;
  • The worker's Polish social security number;
  • Proof of age for all claimants;
  • Evidence of the worker's U.S. earnings in the past 24 months; and
  • Information about the worker's coverage under the Polish system.

You can find all of this here: https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/polish.html

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" (you may have to scroll up to see them OR look to one side or the other if you’re on a device, such as a phone or tablet – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

I PAID TAXES LAST FOR the YEAR 2014...I DIDNOT WORK SINCE THEN

DID you see the information above?

...

Yes, becasue of the tax treaty, you CAN get US benefits OR have them added to Poland Social Security benefits to increase that.

...

If you live in Poland and wish to apply for U.S. or Polish benefits, contact:

• The Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw, Poland, (phone 48-22-504-2112) or the U.S. Consulate in Krakow (phone 48-12-424-5100) to file for U.S. benefits

...

ITS ALMOST NOT POSSIBLE TO KONTAKT US EMBASSY IN WARSAW..BY THE PHONE/NEVER ANSWER/ ITS ARR.400KM FROM HERE...THAT IS SO
REASON WHY I CHOSE HELP THIS WAY
WOULD BE A PROBLEM I WAS THERE AND WORK WITHOUT WORK PERM.

I'm so sorry, but that IS the process. You must either go there or keep calling until you get through.

...

This is a question and answer site. We can deal with questions of process, law, taxation, Social Security, and even how these things work together.

...

Services to individuals residing in the following provinces (wojewodztwa) of Poland: kujawsko-pomorskie, lubelskie, mazowieckie, podlaskie, pomorskie, warminsko-mazurskie and zachodniopomorskie are provided by the Federal Benefits Unit in WARSAW.

You may contact us in a variety of ways:

• the most efficient way is by using our online form.
  • by fax to: +48 22(###) ###-####/li>
  • by mail to: ***** ***** Warsaw
    Federal Benefits Unit
    ul. Piekna 12
    00-539 Warsaw
    Poland
  • in urgent cases (such as stopped payments) you may call us at +48 22(###) ###-####Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" (you may have to scroll up to see them OR look to one side or the other if you’re on a device, such as a phone or tablet – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS