Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Does retirement cancel survivors benefits, I just turned 70,

Does retirement cancel survivors...

Does retirement cancel survivors benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just turned 70, applied for and got retirement benefits. I have been receiving survivors benefit from my wife's account. Do I now recieve both or just retirement?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

MY wife died in June 2016 at 72.

12/15/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Are your retirement benefits a government pension (federal, state or local)?

Just what I paid the government for. Social Security.
It's a simple question. And frankly I don't hear well enough to use the phone.

Generally private pension or distributions from 401K/IRA do not affect your social security benefits. But if you get a retirement pension from a government employer (that did not contribute to social security), you benefits may be reduced or eliminated depending on the amount of the pension.

I'm not retired. I got a letter from Social Security over a year ago that directed me to their website to apply, so I did that. I had been receiving survivor's benefits from my wife. SS replied that I would be receiving a monthly payment, my question is do I continue with my wife's benefits or does my payment void them?

I see. You cannot collect survivor benefits and your own benefits at the same time. If you benefits increased when you become 70, social security switch you to your own benefits (based on your own work records).

no, thank you. Biggest rip off in the Universe. My wife got to collect for a year and a half.

I am sorry I cannot give you more positive answers. Social security benefits are not transferable.

It's all right. The government has cheated me all my life, this is just in character. Thank you.

You're welcome.

If it makes any difference, while your collected survivor benefits, your own benefits were gaining extra credits, up to additional 30% of your full retirement age benefits amount. Currently this option is only possible with survivor benefits. Collecting benefits based on her records helped to increase your own.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser