Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Will we receive a raise from Social security in 2018 ??

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/15/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends if you also have Medicare and what are your current medicare premiums>

Last year Medicare premiums were increased to $134 but for most people COLA (benefits cost of living adjustment) did not increase enough to compensate for the Medicare increase. Because of hold harmless rule protection social security could not reduce your benefits because of higher Medicare premiums so in 2017 you paid reduced Medicare premium. The COLA adjustment for 2018 is 2%, much higher than last year but if your Medicare premium is less than $134, the adjustment will be offset by increased Medicare premium. Again, the Medicare premium increase cannot be more than your COLA increase because of the Hold Harmless rule protection.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?