Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I retired from the US Army after serving more then 30 years.

Customer Question
I retired from the...

I retired from the US Army after serving more then 30 years. I enlisted in the US Army in 1947and retired August 1977. Soldiers who served during that period were promised free medical. the amount social security deducted from my social Security is $134.00 for Medicare medical insurance. Congress has already declared that soldiers who served during that period were indeed promised free medical for life. Please tell me, why am I paying Medicare Medical insurance?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I do not have anything else to say.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/15/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 2 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for your service. That was an amazing time to be in the military, both Korea and Vietnam.

Your Tricare coverage is in fact free. Your MediCare Part B coverage isn't. And if you're covered by Tricare, and are eligible for Social Security/MediCare, then, when you turn 65, you are automatically enrolled in MediCare because you are required to have MediCare Parts A and B in order to keep you Tricare coverage once you're 65 years of age. I suspect you've been paying this premium for a while now.

$134.00 is the monthly premium for Part B coverage. It was increased in 2017. Prior to that it was $104.90. In 2017 you received a .3% COLA increase which was used to pay the additional Part B premium, up to $109.00. But the actual premium is $134.00 and with the new 2% increase, you'll now pay the full premium.

Again, if you are entitled to MediCare coverage, you MUST have MediCare Parts A and B in order to keep your Tricare coverage once you reach age 65.

You can call the Department of Defense if you have questions about Military Retiree Benefits (TRICARE) at 1-***-***-****.

If you want to verify what Social Security is doing with your benefits, you can contact them in several ways:

1. You can call them at(###) ###-####Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

2. You can go to your local office: get the address, hours, and directions using the SSA office locator - https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3. Or you can create an online account by going to this page: https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.do

Just scroll to the bottom of the page, check the box agreeing to the terms and conditions, and click "Next." It's pretty easy to set up an account. You'll be able to see your benefits and history online from the comfort of home.

Hope that cleared it up for you. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer, and you can always return here with follow up questions at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Social Security Expert: Patrick Mullis, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
Patrick Mullis
Patrick Mullis, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Unfortunately, all I can do is explain the reasoning behind the deductions situation. Payroll deductions go towards funding Part A of Medicare, and you continue to pay those for as long as you continue working. It doesn't matter how much you've previously contributed, nor whether or not you already have Medicare coverage. The monthly premiums deducted from your Social Security benefits, or paid quarterly for those not receiving Social Security payments, go to fund optional Part B of Medicare. Also, optional Part D Medicare premiums are sometimes paid by withholding from Social Security benefits. The premium amounts for Part B are variable depending a person's yearly income, and can be adjusted if the person's income changes. Obviously, these premiums are only payable if you currently have the coverage. I understand your frustration and see the contradiction presented by politicians and policy. I do not agree with you having to pay for medical. Thank you for your service and sacrifice, I wish there was more I could do. If you feel this was helpful please rate me 5 stars.

Patrick Mullis
Patrick Mullis