Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am slow typing, so be patient. I have a friend that was…

I am slow typing...

I am slow typing, so be patient. I have a friend that was married to a person on Social Security disability. They were married for 8 months, then he passed. Question: Is She entitled to any benefits? Is his children?

12/15/2017
Carter McBride

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and would be glad to help you with this.

Your friend may be entitled to benefits. Generally, you need to be married for 9 months to get them, but there are exceptions to this.

Here's a break down of what they could receive:

• You care for a childunder the age of 16 years old who receives survivor SSDI benefits from your deceased spouse.
    • You will receive 75% of your deceased spouse’s SSDI benefit.
  • You are at least 50 years old and disabled, and your disability started before your spouse died or within seven years of your spouse’s death(unless you were receiving mother's or father's benefits).
    • You will receive 71.5% of your deceased spouse’s SSDI benefit.
  • You are at least 60 years old but not yet full retirement age.
    • You will receive 71.5% - 99% of your deceased spouse’s SSDI benefit.
  • You are at least full retirement age.
    • You will receive 100% of your deceased spouse’s SSDI benefit

Children may be eligible depending on their circumstances and ages. This page here: https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/social-security-disability/survivors-benefits-death-disabled-worker.html is a great resource on the benefits and what requirements are needed.

Your friends best bet would be to call Social Security at(###) ###-####or to visit their local Social Security office. They will be able to start the processing on any benefits that your friend may be entitled to.

Hope that helps. If you need anything clarified, let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride