Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Do you get 2 checks one for a deceased spouse and one for…

Customer Question
Do you get 2...

Do you get 2 checks one for a deceased spouse and one for yourself or are they combined?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been receiving one check ,but reasonably received two letters both on the ame day.one for my husbands ssnumber one for mine.i can no0t understand what they are saying .

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't know what part of my check was from him and what was mine.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/14/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

You will never get two different checks. (It's also important to understand that we can't "stack benefits," as you'll hear Social Security experts call it) .. adding one benefit (maybe a new benefit for which you become eligible) on top of another.

...

However, when you DO become eligible for another benefit, (or decide to apply for a benefit for which your eligible) and that benefit is higher than the one you're currently receiving ... SSA will always take you up TO the higher benefit of the two.

...

And just so you'll know ... this isn't apparent, they do this by paying a combination of your benefit and the new benefit you've begun to receive.

...

...

You can read more about this directly from Social Security by clicking HERE:

...

From that SSA webpage: "If you do have enough credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits and you apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit."

But again, that comes in the form of one payment, coming FROM two different sources of funds.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane