Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

S**: **4-**-5*** I AM 78 YRS.M OLD AND I RETIRED INMARCH OF…

Customer Question
MY NAME IS WALLACE ****S**...

MY NAME IS WALLACE ****S**: **4-**-5*** 

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I AM 78 YRS.M OLD AND I RETIRED INMARCH OF THIS YEAR. I HAVE BEEN PAYING SSI ALL THIS TIME, MY WIFE JUST NOTICED THAT I WAS NOT REQUIRED TO PAY ANY. HOW CAN I GET THIS MONEY BACK???

Accountant's Assistant: You can email***@******.***. JustAnswer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if our Customer Care team can't address your issue, and it's been 30 days or less since you paid to ask your question, they will refund your money.

THIS WII GO BACK LIKE 10 OR 12 YEARS.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

THIS DOES NOT AFFECT THE RETIREMENT ACCT. JUST THE SSI ACCT, AM I TALKING TO THE WRONG PEERSON??

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 7 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What do you mean you were not required to pay any SSI?

According to the notice that I received Form: SSA-4926-SM "IF you are at full retirement age (now age 66) or older for all of 2017, you may keep all of your benefits no matter how much you earn".
In would prefer not to be charged anymore A simple answer to my question would be appreciated.
WELL??????????????? WHERE IS MY ANSWER?????????????

That's true but this does not refer to social security withholding from your paycheck. What the letter is saying is that after you reach full retirement age you can have unlimited earnings and your benefits will not be reduced because you earn too much. If you collect benefits before your full retirement age and continue working your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you make over certain amount, currently $17040. Once you reach your full retirement age your benefits are not affected by your earnings. But if you continue working you still have to contribute to social security and Medicare regardless of your age.

Does it make sense? SSI and Medicare withholding are mandatory tax, just like income that is used to pay benefits to current beneficiaries. Income tax is used to fund government programs and the government, social security and Medicare tax is used to fund socials security and Medicare programs. By law, as long as you work for other than government employee you are required to contribute to social security.

The information is very misleading. If I wasn’t confused to start with, I sure am now.

What you are confused about?

The letter you received is referring to monthly benefits you are receiving from the social security, not the the withholding from your paycheck. These are two separate things.