Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I turned 66 on October 9th of this year. I had applied for…

Customer Question
I turned 66 on...

I turned 66 on October 9th of this year. I had applied for social security in the summer. I still have not received my 1st check. Talked to someone at social security last month & they said they had everything they needed & it was pending. How much longer should it talke. It has been 2 months.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of. They said they had all the paperwork & information they needed & nothing else was needed. Thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/13/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 7 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It can take up to 3 month, 90 to process your application. Since you already reached your full retirement age you will get paid retroactively for October and November.

Your payment schedule will be second Wednesday of each month.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I cant believe it takes 3 months. Should I keep waiting or should I call the social security office to see what they have to say. they said they no no other information but if they did, would they get in touch with me?

Customer service agents generally do not have access to actual files, all they can do is check their computer database and they all see the same thing. It used to take about 6 weeks on average to process a standard application (benefits based on your own work records) but thanks to the current budget cuts and increased security, the processing time is much longer now. December is generally the busiest time for social security as well as the IRS.

I would wait for another couple of weeks before contacting social security. Most customer service agents do not have access to actual files, they can only check the computer database, which is often not updated until application is fully processed.