Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have a rather strange question, I'm afraid. My girlfriend…

Customer Question
I have a rather...

I have a rather strange question, I'm afraid. My girlfriend and I are each on Social Security Disability. We live together in a house that, right now, I own. We're considering changing the deed to joint ownership, but we need to know whether and how that would affect her benefits.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Well, we're wondering how transferring the house partly into her name would affect her current benefits, and also whether it would make a difference if we wait until she's 65 and on regular Social Security. (Right now, she's 61.)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/13/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are getting social security disability benefits based on your working record - your benefits will NOT be changes when the ownership on the house is changed.

That fact is not reported to the SSA.

Your and her age would not make any difference here.

As long as you do not have EARNED income - from wages or self-employment - social security disability benefits woudl not be affected.

Please be aware that social security disability benefits will be changed to retirement benefits at age 66 or later - when you will be at your FRA - full retirement age.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.