Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passed away Nov. 8,2017. He was getting a soc.

My husband passed away...

My husband passed away Nov. 8,2017. He was getting a soc. sec.check . I am still working but do I still get some of that monthly check now that he is gone?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

The mortuary said that they notified social security of his death but I haven't heard anything from them

12/13/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your loss...

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778).

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

.

Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more they paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.

The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor