Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Where do I find the form that shows me the amounts I must…

Customer Question
Where do I find...

Where do I find the form that shows me the amounts I must earn for 30 years from SS to be eligible to collect both SS and TRS?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I believe I have 28 years qualifying SS years. I will retire with TRS benefits but need to know how many more years I must work under SS in order to be able to collect all of both.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I am presently 62 and can retire from TRS at 63 1/2; then I would be able to work under SS.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/12/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane ...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

This can help in CALCULATING the WEP reduction: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html

...

But the best example of how this works AND where you can clearly see that the reduction goes to zero in 30 years is in the SSA publication on the subject.

...

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

...

Note the chart at the bottom, right of page 2 where you see that the 90% factor is no longer reduced at 30 years

...

And you'll also see, in the second paragraph of page two, the following:

...

"If you have 30 or more years of substantial earnings, we don’t reduce the standard 90 percent factor in our formula. See the first table that lists substantial earnings for each year"

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane