Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If i'm 74 and husband 82, can I get. If i'm 74 and new

Customer Question
If i'm 74 and...

If i'm 74 and husband 82, can I get

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

If i'm 74 and new husband passed before me

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

If my husband of 82 passes, after a short maybe 2year or less marriage can I get his sc

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/12/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Yes, the way that works is that you will be taken UP TO any higher benefit for which you are eligible.

...

The SURVIVORS benefit (for anyone over age 66) is 100% of the deceased spouse's benefit.

...

SO although Social Security law doesn't allow "stacking" of benefits, as they call it, (adding one benefit on top of another) ... If your husband's benefit is higher than yours, they WILL take you up to that higher benefit.

By the way, you only need to be married for 9 months for the survivor benefit to apply.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane