Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I just received the paper with my new benefit amount listed.

Customer Question
I just received the...

I just received the paper with my new benefit amount listed. My husband and I do not have medicare. I am turning 65 in January. It is listed that they are taking out $134.00 for medicare. It said if I did not sign up by November 17 it would be listed as $0.00. As I said mine is listed as $134.00.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I think that is it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/12/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are already receiving Social Security benefits, Social Security will automatically enroll you in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B when you reach age 65. Because you are turning 65 in January and the benefit statement you received is for 2018, your Medicare premium amount is listed on your 2018 benefit statement.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

My husband and I are getting medical insurance from his work and did not sign up for Medicare. The paper said if you signed up; I did not. How do I change this.

You should immediately contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Advise the representative that you husband is still working and you have health insurance through his employment.

Medicare Part A is free--so I would leave that as it is.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent