Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am retired age 71 with 862 SS check each month 2018. I am…

Customer Question
I am retired age...

I am retired age 71 with 862 SS check each month 2018. I am loosing my home because of back payments due. Selling my home will not bring me up to date . So they can have it.

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in Baja Mx. I have an older 30' RV which i am moving into and returning to the USA. What I would like to know is there rental help for retired Vet's. I would like to be in San Diego area because of my medical and Son and grandchildren are there. Looking at RV parks.

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My Disable wife a disable Vet Passed in 2009 and lost all her benefits. Could not get help from VA or SSA for added benefits. So all money saved and assets are used up . I have no assets or income.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 7 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

The SSA does not get involved in rental assistance, nor helping people specifically live in more expensive areas in the country versus more affordable areas. That said, depending on the area's local programs, they may have assistance for food (stamps/card), housing, utility help, etc. If you can preserve some of your 862 monthly cash because your food is being paid via an available local welfare source, that is more you can use to help you with other basic living costs. You may want to look into low income housing, where there can be big subsidies to pay the rent. These types of welfare programs are usually found at your local medical assistance office (i.e. medicaid office). Also inquire if the you can get extra help from Medicaid to help pay your Medicare premium - sometimes, if your income is low enough, you can possibly get the premium and copays paid for by Medicaid. That, again, would leave more in your pocket each month.

Also, it sounds like your wife did not pay in for the survivor benefit that may have been available via the VA. But, if you know what her SS benefit was, which passed with her, if it is bigger than your own, you should be able to switch to that survivor benefit rather than stay with your own, if your own is smaller.

Also know that if you are not disabled from doing so, at 71 you are permitted to work as much as you wish and will not have your SS benefit reduced due to earnings. You can also move to far more affordable areas of the country, if you find SD to be far to expensive. I know you prefer to be close to your kids, but if they won't make space for you to join them, and you can't otherwise afford that area, it is just something to think about. You can also consider getting a place that can accommodate a room mate, for purposes of splitting costs of shelter/utilities, etc.