Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My new benefit amount for 2018 shows the same amount as i…

Customer Question
My new benefit amount...

My new benefit amount for 2018 shows the same amount as i have received for the past 2 or 3

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you want to know

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/9/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 6 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

There was a very small cost of living adjustment for 20117, 0.3% and 2% for 2018. However, in 2017 Medicare premiums increased which eliminated your 2017 increase but did not reduce your benefits beyond what you got in the year before. It is called Hold Harmless rule. It basically means that social security will not reduce your benefits, instead it will reduce your Medicare premium. The current Medicare premium (for most people) is $134. The 2018 COLA increase increased your benefits but also increased your Medicare premium if you were paying reduced rate because of Hold Harmless rule.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

It is like catch up provision. Your benefits goes up but until your medicare premium is $134, any increase in benefits will be offset by Medicare premium increase.