Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I just got my new benefit amount. On it was the amount of…

Customer Question
I just got my...

I just got my new benefit amount. On it was the amount of $20.40 forMedicare prescription drug plan. I am not taking this out and I am on part D Please take it off. I don’t need this

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

They are taking money out of my check next year for Medicare prescription drug plan. I have never been on this plan and I don’t want to be. Never ask for it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/9/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 7 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You are on a private site called "Just Answer." Experts and Professionals here will answer your questions on a variety of topics. From your post, it appears that you may have been trying to access the Social Security or MediCare website. But I'll give you the information you need to follow up:

To disenroll from Part D coverage, you have to notify MediCare during the open enrollment period which runs from October 15th to December 7th. Now that you are outside of the open enrollment period, you have to meet one of the "special circumstances." To find out if you qualify, you should contact MediCare at(###) ###-####

If you have a plan ID card, there should be contact information on the card and you may also contact them directly. If you aren't familiar with the rules regarding what is known as "creditable coverage," you should discuss it with your current plan, because you want to be certain that your present coverage is "creditable," i.e., that it's at least as good as MediCare's standard prescription drug coverage. If you go 63 days or more without creditable coverage, and you want to join a MediCare Prescription Drug Program later, you'll have to wait for an open enrollment period and you might have to pay a late enrollment penalty.

Lastly: Assuming you have some type of prescription drug coverage, you should receive an annual notification that it is, or is not, "creditable." Save those notices.

Hope that helped. If so a positive rating here would be appreciated. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge.

It’s not part D It’s Medicare prescription plan that I did not ask for. I will go to see office and tell them to get it off Monday. Thanks but you did not help me