Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have just turned 66 and just found out that my ex-husband…

Customer Question
I have just turned...

I have just turned 66 and just found out that my ex-husband has retired. I have not remarried and understand I am elegible for half of his social security. How do find out how I get it.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am not sure what you want.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I will want to know how much I would be getting and how it will affect my workers comp

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/8/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

First, it's important to understand that Social Security benefits can't be "stacked," as Social Security calls it.

...

So if you are already getting a benefit based on your own work record, they WILL take you up TO the higher benefit (if 1/2 of his benefit is higher than what you are already receiving).

...

Now, as it relates to your worker's comp, there's an offset (a reduction of your social security benefits) if you are receiving social security DISABILITY (SSDI) but what you have asked about is Social Security RETIREMENT, (SSR)

...

When you are receiving and/or beginning to receive Social Security Retirement, if you had been receiving Social Security Retirement before you were injured then there is no offset between your workers’ compensation and Social Security Retirement.

...

However, if you were injured and subsequently went on Social Security Retirement then there is an offset and the offset goes to workers’ compensation. The workers’ compensation law allows the workers’ compensation insurance company (irrespective of the fact that the company you were working for at the time that you were hurt may not have even contributed much if at all to your Social Security fund), that the workers’ compensation insurance company would be entitled to reduce what they pay you by 50% of each payment that you receive from Social Security Retirement. Hence, the relationship between SSR and workers’ comp is that the credit for SSR inures (goes to) to the benefit of your workers’ compensation insurance company.

...

Therefore in conclusion, one way or the other you cannot receive full workers’ compensation benefits and full Social Security Benefits. If you are on Social Security Disability, Social Security will have a partial offset based upon your receipt of workers’ compensation benefits. If you are on Social Security Retirement and your injury occurs before you are eligible for Social Security Retirement then the workers’ compensation insurance company will receive a credit for one-half of your Social Security Retirement amount.

Finally, to APPLY for the divorced spousal benefit you can do that in one of three ways:

...

You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

...

Here's the site for that: CLICK HERE FOR THE ONLINE SOCIAL SECURITY APPLICATION

...

If you do not wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want is not available online, you can:

• Call us at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****); or
  • Visit your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane