Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How can I get my first medicare card. I was told it would be…

Customer Question
How can I get...

How can I get my first medicare card. I was told it would be here by now

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I applied in oct for medicare, and I haven't received my card yet

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/7/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 7 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

If you were already receiving Social Security benefits, your Part A coverage kicks in automatically on the first day of the month in which you turn 65. You should have received your MediCare card two to three months before your 65th birthday.

If you weren't receiving Social Security benefits and you had to apply for MediCare coverage, you should have received your card about three weeks after you applied.

If you believe your card has been lost or stolen, you can order one by calling Social Security at(###) ###-#### Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. eastern time. Be prepared to wait a half hour to an hour on hold, though. It will take about 30 days to receive a new card.

If you don't want to call, you can visit your local Social Security office; you can find their address and directions to their location using the SSA locator tool, here: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

You can also request one online if you have a Social Security online account. If you don't, and want to create one, just go to this link: https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.do

Check the box to agree to the terms of service at the bottom of the page and it'll get you started. Takes about 15 minutes.

Between April of 2018 and April of 2019, new MediCare cards will be issued to all MediCare members. These new cards will have unique identifying numbers. Your Social Security number will no longer be your MediCare identifying number.

There is NEVER a charge for a MediCare card.

Hope that answered your question. If so, a positive rating here would be appreciated. And you can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge.