Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 63 years old. I got a letter today, saying my medicare…

Customer Question
I am 63 years...

I am 63 years old. I got a letter today, saying my medicare medical insurance will be 134.00 why and what is this for.?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I don,t know what info i need to tell you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/7/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 8 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You received a Social Security Benefit Rate Change Notice (BRI). These are sent in December to let people know about rate changes.

If you are already collecting social security, then, on the first day of the month in which you turn 65 your MediCare will kick in. Part A hospital coverage is automatic and free if you're eligible. Part B is optional. The rates for Part B coverage were just increased, and that is your notice of the rate change. Part B coverage is not automatic; you can choose to buy it, or not. They're just telling you how much it costs. The reason you are receiving this notice now is that there's something called "IRMAA," the "Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount." If your income for the calendar year two years prior to your benefit year (that's 2017 if you start benefits in 2019) is over a certain amount, your premium goes up. This notice tells you that you will not be subject to the adjustment. The reason they go back two years is that Social Security gets your income figures from the IRS and they only have figures available from two years prior.

If you're not collecting social security yet, but will be eligible, you will have to apply for MediCare three months before you turn 65. But to answer your question, that notice is just to let you know about the rate change.

If you believe that they are in error about your age, call them at(###) ###-#### Otherwise you don't have to do anything. Just keep the notice.

Hope that answered your question. If so a positive rating here would be appreciated. And you can always return with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.