Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I got a letter from you in September about ssi income

Customer Question
I got a letter...

I got a letter from you in September about ssi income because I am over 65, I want to know what it is about.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I got this letter about ssi benefits because I am over 65. I don't know if I qualify or not.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

It tlls me that I could earn 735 single or 1,103 married I am not disabled. but the letter did't say anything about that.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/6/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

I will help you with determination.

Let me know - if you are Single or Married?

- and what is your current monthly income?

I am married. My monthly income is $371.68

You definitely may qualify for SSI - Supplemental Security Income.

However - because you are married - unless you are living separately - total family income is considered.

So you are living along - you may get additional SSI to supplement your income up to $735

If you are living together - combined family income will be considered.

This link will take you to the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool.

https://ssabest.benefits.gov/

By taking 5 to 10 minutes to answer a few questions, you can find out if you are eligible for SSI or other benefits.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor