Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was married to my x-husband for 10 years and I month. Am I…

Customer Question
I was married to...

I was married to my x-husband for 10 years and I month. Am I able to collect on his social security?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have his # and our marriage date and divorce date.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

He is still living, but never remarried.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I am remarried.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).