Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My late husband recieved 1730 ss. I filed for his ss and an…

Customer Question
My late husband recieved...

My late husband recieved 1730 ss. I filed for his ss and an getting 130 a month less, I was told he retired one month before he begain paying into ss. I sent a letter with no response. Am I intitled to his full ss.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/5/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 7 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

When he applied for his benefits is irrelevant. You are entitled between 72 - 100% of the amount he was getting at the time of his death, depending on when YOU applied for your own benefits.

Have you been collecting benefits before? When did you started? If not, how old are you now?

i got my first husands ss hd died in 1987

Ok. How old were you then? Older or younger than 65?

I was a widowat 55 and I think I start the his ss at 60
I can't see when I started my late husbands ss has to due with my second husband ss

In 1987 or now you are not getting your late husband's benefits, you are getting YOUR benefits based on HIS records. That's the big difference. Your widow benefits are calculated using their work records BUT your application history.

If you apply for any social security benefits before your full retirement age you permanently reduce your own but also all benefits available to you at that time and in the future, including your widow benefits.

When you applied at 60 you permanently reduced ALL of your benefits, including your future benefits to 72% of the base amount.

The base amount for widow benefits is the amount your late husband was receiving at the time of his death. Your widow benefits is 72% of that amount. If you waited until your full retirement age of 65 before applying for social security benefits, you would get 100%.

Does it make sense?

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?