Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Is paid twice a month and had total gross earnings as of…

Customer Question
is paid twice a month...
is paid twice a month and had total gross earnings as of 10/15 of $116,800. His gross earnings for the period ending 10/31 were $6,000.  If social security taxes are 6.2% on a maximum earnings of $122,700 per year and Medicare tax is 1.45% on all earnings, how much medicare tax will be paid by Michael and how much will be paid by his employer for the period ending 10/31?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to answer your question.

okay no problem I will wait

If he is paid twice a month, at $6,000 per paycheck, he has 5 checks left (1 left in October, 2 in November, and 2 in December) at $6,000 each is $30,000 of pay left.

If his earnings to 10/15 were $116,800, he will have full year earnings of $116,800+$30,000 = $146,800.

He pays 1.45% Medicare tax, and his employer matches it. So 1.45% x $146,800 = $2,128.60 of Medicare tax.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

no this is no correct because I have just 87 for employer and24 and 87