Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I began receiving disability in 2015 as I am legally blind.

Customer Question
I began receiving disability...

I began receiving disability in 2015 as I am legally blind. I also have had a kidney/pancreas transplant in 1997. My blind status was approved before the workup for ESRD was done. SS cancelled the appointment. Now I am looking at paying a high dollar amount for immunosuppressant medications w supplement insurance. Is there a way to have SS reevaluate me for ESRD also so I can get my meds paid for?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My name is Allen

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 2 days by:
12/6/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 7 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Hi Allen, I am sorry I have not been available lately to see your question, but work was very busy. I am glad I had the chance to stop in.

First, I think you are saying that you believe that because the SS found you disabled as a blind person, that your SS status, which then provides for Medicare coverage as an under age 65 person, some how prevents you from paying a lower copay for your ESRD drugs. However, unless there is a special law I am not seeing, I can say that Social Security does not control what your RX plan that you chose with Medicare will cover ANY impairment, either past ones or ones that occur in the future and have not been considered for SS disability determination purposes. For instance, I may be found SS disabled due to a very bad back injury. I prevail on an SSDIB claim because I can not work. After 24 months worth of SS payments, I am eligible for Medicare as a disabled person. This Medicare is not limilted to my back issues. Rather, the insurance covers all medical care, to the extent I purchased the insurance.

I think your issue has more to do with what RX plan you have chosen. And you have til tomorrow to change what you are on to one that may better cover your particular meds. You can also consider an Advantage plan, potentially, if you didn't sign up for a Supplement plan during your first several months of Medicare Eligibility (that is the only time you are not underwritten - after that pre-existings count). But still, a better RX plan OR, getting an Advantage plan that has great RX coverage is likely what you will want to look into.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give mecredit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you inthe future, should you have legalquestions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Oh, I think I forgot this link, but here is additional word on Medicare and ESRD.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10128-Medicare-Coverage-ESRD.pdf