Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

May I collect on my ex-spouse's social security? I was

May I collect on...

May I collect on my ex-spouse's social security?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was married for 22 years before divorcing - my ex spouse is currently collecting

12/3/2017
Carter McBride

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and would be glad to help!

Yes you can collect benefits on an ex-spouse's Social Security. In order to, you must have been married for 10 years before divorce and the following need to apply:

f you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Hope that helps! If you need anything, let me know If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Can I collect on his now I am 62 and wait to collect on mind until later?