Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My daughter has been receiving survivors benefits for the…

My daughter has been...

My daughter has been receiving survivors benefits for the past 10 years. She just turned 18. I am her mother and her representative payee. I received a letter from the SS office that I have to return to them any money that I have saved for my daughter. I have saved some money to help pay for college. Do I have to send it back?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

The money I have saved for my daughter is in a savings account in her name and me as her representative payee.

12/1/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

That is misunderstanding...

You are NOT returning the money to the SSA , but will have to turn over all saved amounts to your daughter because (1) she reached the age of majority at 18 and (2) your term of being her representative payee is ending.

If the saved money are in the account with HER name listed - you do not have to do anything in additional to that.

if I close out the representative account and give her the money to put in an account in her name, I don't have to do anything with the social security office. I have called our local office to make an appointment or to ask a question, but unless you know the extension it does no good.
You answered my question. So thanks, I'm good now.

Yes - that is correct.

All you have to do - to turn over to your daughter any remaining money as you will no longer be her representative payee.

At age 18 - she is responsible for all her assets.

The SSA just want to be sure that all her rights as a recipient of social security benefits are fully protected.

She may choose to keep the money with you - but that will be her personal choice.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Thank you so much. I have worried about this for awhile. I didn’t want to believe that I would have to return money she’s been counting on for college. Thanks again! Have a great day!