Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

In a phone conversation yesterday, I was told I would only…

Customer Question
In a phone conversation...

In a phone conversation yesterday, I was told I would only draw $4.oo extra a month from my recently deceased husband. I do not understand why that is all I will draw.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband passed away October 28,2017. I first talked with a person from social security who informed me I would draw full benefits. He then told me I would get a letter as to when the appointment would be. My phone conversation was yesterday and that is when I found out I would only draw $4.00.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Because I drew more than he, very few dollars, and because he took retirement at 62 they are saying that is why I am only entitled to $4.oo

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/1/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Sorry for the loss of your husband...

You may not receive two benefits at the same time even if you are entitled to both.

However - you have rights to receive the LARGER of benefits you are entitled.

If you receive benefits as a widow or widower or as a surviving divorced spouse, you can switch to your own retirement benefit as early as age 62. This assumes you are eligible for retirement benefits and your retirement rate is higher than your rate as a widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse.

In many cases, a widow or widower can begin receiving one benefit at a reduced rate and then, at full retirement age, switch to the other benefit at an unreduced rate.

.

Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more they paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.

The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.

The maximum survivors benefit amount is limited to what they would receive if they were still alive.

Let me know if that addressed your concern.

If you need any clarification or any additional help - I woudl be glad to assist you.