Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

As a 70 year old male covered by his wife's insurance at her…

Customer Question
As a 70 year old...
As a 70 year old male covered by his wife's insurance at her poe, do i need to enroll in Medicare Part B? I have been told several things; that if her place of work has more than 50 employees (it has well over50k) that it is illegal to have part B, also it has been said that if I have Part B and as a secondary insurer, the primary and secondary would just split it up and it would be the same as if I didn't claim as secondary. Very confusing! Need an Answer!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/1/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you provided, no. You do not have to enroll in Medicare Part B.

You are not required to take Part B during your Initial Enrollment Period (IEP) if you are still working or your spouse is still working and one of you has coverage as a result of that current work. (Discussions about your spouse’s insurance are relevant if you receive your health insurance coverage through them.) You should only delay Part B if this current employer insurance (also called group insurance) is the primary payer on your health care expenses (meaning Medicare would pay after the employer insurance pays on a claim). You should talk to your employer (or your spouse’s employer) when you become eligible for Medicare to see how employer insurance will work with Medicare. Generally, if you are eligible for Medicare because you are over 65, the employer must have more than 20 employees to be the primary payer.

You qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). During this period, you can enroll in Part B without penalty at any time while you or your spouse is still working and for up to eight months after you lose employer coverage, switch to retiree coverage, or stop working.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-and-other-types-of-insurance/enrolling-in-medicare-when-you-have-other-types-of-insurance/enrolling-in-medicare-part-b-if-you-are-65-or-older-still-working-or-spouse-is-still-working-and-have-insurance-from-that-job

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If I have answered your question, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.