Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can Social Security garnish my whole social security check…

Customer Question
Can Social Security garnish...

Can Social Security garnish my whole social security check because they say I was overpaid on my disability earnings from them when I was working?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was receiving social security disability benefits while I was working, to the tune of 38000,over several years. I guess according to them I was overpaid by them by that 38,000. I am disabled but was able to work some over several years . Now they want their money back and have garnished my social security check. All of it, can they do that and along with that does my Medicare which I will have to pay for out of pocket. I am an ill person on dialysis, have a bad heart and have a pace maker, have been diabetic for a long time, and have lost the toes on my left foot. what I am wondering is the garnishment of my social security now can they do that.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

That pretty much covers it in a nutshell

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/30/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 7 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately yes, social security can garnish your entire social security if it was determined that they overpaid you. You can appeal and request installment payment instead if not receiving any social security benefits will cause you a financial hardship. You will have to document your income, expenses and current assets. The process may take some time and you may need a lawyer to represent you since the overpayment was not a result of error made by social security but your income.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?