Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passed away in May of 2017 and I am now receiving…

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away in May of 2017 and I am now receiving his Social security and was required to give his up. He received his check on the second Wed. of each Month and I recieved mine on the third. I would like to know if I can receive my check on the 2nd wed. It would be much easier for me to pay my expenses if this could be arranged.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/30/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The SSA issue benefit payments using a special schedule.

That schedule is published

See here

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf

It is based on the birth date.

When you receive benefits based on your own working record - YOUR birth date is used,

but when you are getting benefits as a surviving spouse - the schedule is based on your late spouse's birth date.

That may not be changed.
Sorry.

But his Birthdate is on March 8th

If HIS birth day was "8" - and you are getting social security benefits based on his working record - benefits should be paid to you on Second Wednesday every month.

What can I do to get it on the2nd wed of the month? I am receiving it on the 3rd.My Birthdate is Nov 11. How can I make the change?
Will you give me a answer?

First of all - you need to verify - if you are getting widow's benefits - if yes - they should be paid on Second Wednesday every month.and that should be set automatically.

If that doesn't work out - you may need to communicate with the SSA asking for corrections.

You may call toll-free at 1_800_772_1213 (TTY 1_800_325_0778).

Currently - it will take ~30-40 mins waiting.

Or you may simply visit ANY SSA office.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local office serving your area.