Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I want to check on the status of my benefits. My husband…

Customer Question
I want to check...

I want to check on the status of my benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband died in August, I have yet to hear anything

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/30/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Did you report your husband's death? Social Security does not automatically issue survivor/widow benefits. You have to apply.

If not, you will want to call Social Security directly at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday. As the surviving spouse, you are entitled to a one-time survivor benefit of $255. You may also be able to receive widow benefits under your husband's work record.

Did you apply for surviving spouse benefits? You must apply in person at your local Social Security office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb