Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Ss is sayin that I got overpaid last year after I retired in…

Customer Question
Ss is sayin that...

Ss is sayin that I got overpaid last year after I retired in april 16 maybe in july we got a retirement bonus of 60.000 because we left by a certain time. It was not income from work is that considered income

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

When I retired our benefit reps and union reps told us that this might come up and that since it was a bonus not worked income that ss would not hold it against u

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/30/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your social security income should NOT be reduced because of that bonus.
That bonus indeed is your earned income - but for social security purposes the matter is NOT when income is paid but when it was earned.

If the bonus was earned BEFORE you started social security benefits - that income should NOT affect your benefit amount and will NOT create over-payment situation.

However - the SSA doesn't know when the bonus was earned and they assumed it was earned when paid...

You will need to get your bonus reward letter - that indicated for which period the bonus is paid - and provide such letter to the SSA - they will reconsider their decision.

Let me know if you need any help.