Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I receive social security disability and i am recently

Customer Question
I receive social security...

I receive social security disability and i am recently divorced.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Child support comes out of my disability

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Social security is now going to pay my ex-wife money for the kids on my behalf

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/29/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, if you are referring to SSDI benefits, child support can be deducted from your Social Security Disability.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I know that and they already deduct it. However, social security will be paying benefits to my kids through my ex-wife on my behalf. They are paying backpay to each child in the amount of $4,551 per child. It goes to my ex-wife in her name. How do the taxes work?
am i entitled to any of the backpay?

If those payments are for back child support/payments, you would not be entitled to any of it.

Child support is not taxable income to your ex-wife.

No they are not. It is backpay for the time we were married.

Thank you for the additional information.

If it is back pay due to your children, you would not be entitled to it, and it is not taxable income.

she gets to keep $18,000 on top of the child support I pay each month?

If it's back pay that is due to your children, yes.

ok thanks.

I wish I had better news for you.