Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Second opinion] I was told I need my birth certificate to…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I was...

Second opinion] I was told I need my birth certificate to enroll in SS ...I can't locate my birth certificate is there anything else I can use

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Is there anything other than a birth certificate I can use to sign up for SS?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Social Security Expert: TaxRobin, Tax Preparer replied 7 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

SSA can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.

To show your age, if a birth certificate does not exist, SSA may be able to accept your:

• Religious record made before the age of 5 showing your date of birth;
  • U.S. hospital record of your birth; or
  • U.S. passport.

Please let me know if you need more information on this SECOND OPINION request.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Hi just checking to see if you responded or need more info about this situation.