Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I turned 66 in July 2016 and began collecting my SS benefit.

Customer Question
I turned 66 in...

I turned 66 in July 2016 and began collecting my SS benefit. I worked the remainder of 2016 and all of 2017. Will continuing to work improve my monthly benefit ?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Does continuing to work past the age of 66 improve my monthly benefit ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/28/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your question is

- Does continuing to work past the age of 66 improve my monthly benefit ?

It is possible - but depends on your earning in these years.

Many people wonder how we figure their Social Security retirement benefit. We base Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.

The SSA will adjust or “index” your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

They apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or “primary insurance amount” - PIA

SO - if you worked less than 35 year - any additional years of earning will definitely improve your social security benefits,

but if you worked MORE than 35 years during your lifetime - additional years of earning will improve your benefits if your earning large enough to be included into 35 years your adjusted earning was larger.

Let me know if you need any clarification or help with determination.

My question was answered completely. However, I thought that I was going to be charged $5 in total and only after giving my credit card info was I informed of the additional charge. VERY DECEPTIVE. I will contest this charge on my credit card

Sorry for your disappointment...
Please be aware that experts do not have access to your account or any private information.

That is an additional step to protect your privacy.

Be sure to communicate all issues with payments to the customer service - and I am sure all will be resolved in your favor.

Let me know if you need contacts.

I will address any additional questions if needed.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor