Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I would like to take my own social security. right now

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to take my own social security . right now taking xhusbands .will be retiring on 12/26/17

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Need to know how to go about this . or if its better to go inperson

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Sorry but I need to know about getting medicare also

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/27/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 6 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here

...

This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what you need to do here.

You really have three options; What MOST do is use the online, which most people use - I recommend it.

...

There is a remarks section at the end (this is the same application that a SSA rep will be using if you call in or set an appointment to go into the local office) where you can be sure they understand exactly what you're trying to do.

...

(In this case, apply for your own benefit, based on your own work record). THis is also where you can specify your start date.

...

Here's the site for that: https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/dib

You DO have two other options:

...

(1)nBy calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. They can help you with this.

OR

...

(2) ... You can get one by going to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.