Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

As a new resident in the USA, I have to wait for 5 years to…

Customer Question
As a new resident...

As a new resident in the USA, I have to wait for 5 years to be eligible for Medicare. Is it possible to pay a lump sum into Social Security in order to shorten that period of time. I am 82 years of age and would like to have Medicare before I'm 87

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Possibly that I had a work permit for one academic year 1976/77. I certainly paid tax then, although I received a rebate at the end of that year, so I might have paid some social security. My social security number dates from 1978 from New York.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/25/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 7 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately eligibility for social security benefits and/or Medicare cannot be purchased. You have to earn it. You will have to pay for the premiums once you become eligible but until you meet the eligibility requirements (have enough social security credits or be legal resident for at least 5 years) you do not qualify and you cannot purchase Medicare.

Work permit does not automatically means you have contributed. Many workers on temporary visa are exempt from contributing to social security or Medicare. Also to qualify you would need to work for at least 10 years (you can only earn 4 credits per year and you need 40 credits to qualify).

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?