Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I own a business and am a doctor and my LLC is my name. I…

I own a business and...
I own a business and am a doctor and my LLC is my name. I got married and don’t want to change my name on my business or the title I go by with my patients or the insurance companies I am in network with. I do however want to change my name personally to my husbands name. So it would need to be on my DL, SS card etc. Is that possible?
11/24/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Is your business single member LLC or have to elected corporate or scorp status?

Single member LLC

Single member LLC is treated as solo proprietorship for tax purposes. Which means your name change will not affect your filing, it will still be reported under your social security. You can keep your original business or start using a DBA (doing business as). The only difference, on your Schedule C you will enter business name (your old name) and file your return under your new name.

How would I find out about how I would keep my old name as my doctor name that patients would call me as well as with the insurance companies for credentialing. When I originally wrote my question there was no option for health care lawyer

You keep your old name as your business name. For instance, Hartford eye clinic is the business name and John Smith is the owner. You can use Jackie Johns DDS (for example) as your business name change your name to your married name. For your patients and insurance company your business name will still be Jackie Johns DDS.

You do not need a health care lawyer, you need a business lawyer. Currently you are in Social security/Tax category for some reason. Let me notify customer service to change the category for you.

Ok thanks for switching me to the right person. So for example let’s say my LLC is Bethany Jones, MD, LLC and my DBA is Easy Medical. The name on my DL is Bethany Jones and I go by Dr. Jones and am credentialed as such thru the insurance companies. I got married and I want to change my name to Bethany Christy to use personally but keep all my business stuff the same. What steps do I need to take?
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane

- I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

it's likely best to add to your request, change my name [for what purpose].

...

First, it's important to note that your LLC is a registered name through the state Secretary of State's office (among other things). Nothing changes there. You've reserved that name through the state and nothing can change that .

...

What you "go by," is not a legality. That's simply a personal preference that you handle by telling people what to call you, just as with a nickname.

...

For identity, Social Security and DMV purposes your name must be changed to your new legal name. Here's the process for that:

...

• Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal and your new last name on it.

• Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification you can get your hands on—your old license, your certified marriage license and, most importantly, your new Social Security card.

• Change our PERSONAL bank accounts - but again, your LLC name is ***** ***** is, and will not change. As a best practice you should be doing business with the insurance companies through your LLC. If there's a state licensing board issue with that or a contractual requirement by the insurance companies, you'll use whatever her process is for changing your name to your new legal name (for THAT purpose). ... but again, for liability purposes, from a pure state corporate law perspective all business should be done in the name of the LLC.

...

Finally, Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card

Again, the requirements that the insurance companies is like specific to each insurance company's policy, contractual requirements, and any requirement that you use the name you use with the medical board.

...

Which, in most states, MUST be your legal name (think SSA and Drivers license)

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Thanks much for the rating,

Lane