Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If one spouse receives more in social security benefits than…

If one spouse receives...

If one spouse receives more in social security benefits than the other one and passes away, can the remaining spouse collect the difference?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My sister receives more benefits than her husband, and she was told that he could file for her benefits if she passes away before him.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Don't think so

11/24/2017
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

In brief, the answer to your question is yes, once the surviving spouse applies for survivor's benefits, if the deceased spouse's benefits were more, benefits for the surviving spouse will be increased. SEE BELOW:

-------------------------------

If your and your spouse had both already started claiming - The higher benefit amount becomes the survivor benefit, and the lower of the two benefit amounts will be stopped.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.thebalance.com/social-security-survivor-benefits-for-a-spouse-2388918

-----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant