Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am settling the affairs of a Robert John Bates, jr SS

Customer Question
I am settling the...

I am settling the affairs of a Robert John Bates, jr SS Number###-##-#### he passed away on June 26, 2017. I understand was he was sent his July payment of $1527. Has this money been retrieved from his bank account before it was closed. Dale Kunkle***@******.***

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to answer your question.

Social Security payments are made in the following month for the benefit month. For example, November's benefit would be paid in December. In order to receive the monthly benefit, the recipient has to be alive for the entire year. So if Mr. Bates passed on June 26, he would not be eligible for the June benefit because he died before the end of the month. SS sent the check, so under the SSA rules, you should notify the bank and they will return the check. If he received an actual paper check, it needs to be returned so SSA uncashed.

The SSA will not automatically withdraw funds from a bank account. However, if the bank were notified of the death, they may have as part of their normal procedures returned the payment to SSA. They may have done this especially if they knew you were closing the account.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! *****!

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any more questions? Is what I said clear?

Please don't forget to rate me, as this is how questions are closed.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Hello? Do you have any more questions?