Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Does a widow at age 48 collect social security from late…

Customer Question
Does a widow at...

Does a widow at age 48 collect social security from late husband aged 78

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Woman aged 48 married 28 years to man aged 78. Her fear is she will lose all the social security he gets because of her age.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

He is a veteran. Any monies collected through VA have been signed over to ex wife years ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/23/2017
Social Security Expert: SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant replied 7 months ago
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

She won't lose out on his benefits, however, unless she is caring for a child younger than the age of 16 or the child is disabled, she cannot start collecting survivors benefits until at least the age of 60. If she starts collecting the survivors benefits at the age of 60, the benefit amount would be reduced. SEE BELOW:

-------------------------------------

• Your widow or widower may be able to get full benefits at full retirement age. The full retirement age for survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956. And the full retirement age will gradually increase to age 67 for people born in 1962 or later. Your widow or widower can get reduced benefits as early as age 60. If your surviving spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50. For more information on widows, widowers, and other survivors, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan.

• Your widow or widower can get benefits at any age if they take care of your child younger than age 16 or disabled, who’s receiving Social Security benefits.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10084.pdf

-------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.