Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was widowed in 1960 when my husband was killed on active…

I was widowed in...

I was widowed in 1960 when my husband was killed on active duty in Korea. I remarried in 1969 and was divorced in 1981. ---- A friend suggested I find out of I could draw social security payments on my first husband even though I am a retired from Civil Service and receive a monthly pension

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Yes - I was able to get my VA indemnity payments reinstated in 1982 and am still receiving them.

11/21/2017
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

Please don't shoot the messenger here, but those receiving a government pension such as yours are penalized (unfairly, in my opinion) by two different provisions in the Social Security Act. The WEP (Windfall Elimination provision) and the GPO Government pension offset.

...

The WEP reduces any Social Security benefit that you might get on your own work record (from working in a job that DID pay into Social Security) and the GPO reduces any ancillary benefit that you might get on someone else's work record, such as the spousal (or divorced spousal) benefit that can be received while the other person is alive or the survivor (or divorced survivor) benefit that can be received when the other person has passed.

...

So here, it would be the GPO that applies. You can read more about that here: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

...

The GPO reduces that ancillary benefit by 2/3 of the government pension that you're receiving. Also you should know that the spousal benefit is 50) of the other living person's benefit, but the survivor benefit can be 100% of the other (deceased) person's benefit, if you are already above full retirement age and did non remarry before age 60.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS