Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passed away in 2013. Am I eligible to collect his…

My husband passed away...

My husband passed away in 2013. Am I eligible to collect his benefits when I retire in 2019? What will that do to my benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband was 62 when he passed away in 2013. I believe he was receiving social security disability payments. I elected not to have those payments continued. Will I be eligible for any of his benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I will be retiring at at 66 in June, 2019. I want to delay any payments until then.

11/21/2017
socrateaser, Attorney

If you were married for at least 10 years, then you are entitled to collect against your spouse's benefits upon retirement. If you wait until your full retirement age then you can collect 100% of your spouse's benefits.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Is that in addition to the benefits that I will be receiving?

Yes. However, there is a maximum of 150-180% of survivor benefits that any "family unit" can receive. So, your benefits will probably be capped at 180%.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney