Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have taken an early retirement. I have a handicapped child…

I have taken an...

I have taken an early retirement. I have a handicapped child since birth he is 31 years old. Since he turned 18 years of age started collecting SSI . My wife never worked to take care of him . Will she be entitled to any payments from SS since she was taken care of him ? Now that I retired they made an adjustment to his SSI payments and they gave him medicare my concern is if my wife can get monetary reward for all the time she was taken care him

by the way my wife is only 59 years old
11/21/2017
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

please keep in mid my wife is only 59 years old
no need over the phone thnak you

You can ignore the offers for telephone calls, etc. The site automatically generates the offers. I am looking into your inquiry. I will be back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I do not see any information that indicates that the SSA pays a monetary award for caring for a handicapped child. While there are some benefits available to parents who take care of a handicapped individual, as your child has been handicapped since birth, this program does not apply. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------------------

Family members who were financially dependent on a disabled worker who is eligible to receive Social Security disability benefits are often eligible to receive family benefits. These Social Security benefits are called dependents' or auxiliary benefits and are available to family members of disabled workers collecting SSDI (Social Security disability insurance). (Note that family benefits don’t apply to disabled people who collect SSI (Supplemental Security Income.) Eligible family members can include husbands, wives, children, and even dependent parents and ex-spouses in some cases (more on this below).

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/disability-rights/limits-dependents-for-disability

--------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Do you know what kind of benefits in simple language please to explain to me

In brief, the SSA does not offer any programs where they would pay your wife for taking care of the disabled child. There is the possibility that she can receive spousal benefits even though she is younger than the age of 62. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------------

If you have not worked or do not have enough Social Security credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits, you may be able to receive spousal benefits based on your record.

To qualify for spouse’s benefits, you must be:

• At least 62 years of age; or
  • Any age and caring for a child entitled to receive benefits on your spouse’s record who is younger than age 16 or disabled.

Your full spouse’s benefit could be up to one-half the amount your spouse is entitled to receive at their full retirement age. If you choose to begin receiving spouse’s benefits before you reach full retirement age, your benefit amount will be permanently reduced.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3754/What-is-the-eligibility-for-Social-Security-spouse-s-benefits-and-my-own-retirement-benefits

SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant